Currently registered students are eligible for TCS services at our main campus location at 1700 North Broad Street, 2nd floor. Individuals who have the primary role of employee at Temple University who are taking classes will be referred to outside providers or the https://counseling.temple.edu/referral-database-0] in order to access referrals to community providers.. All members of the Temple community are welcome to use our online referral database [
To access services, students come to the walk-in-clinic for an initial assessment and complete registration forms that ask about their concerns and symptoms. Counselors at TCS will determine appropriate services after reviewing registration forms and having a collaborative conversation with the student. This may include a variety of treatment options at TCS or a referral to an outside provider. Students who are offered services at TCS are provided an individualized treatment plan during the conversation with the counselor, taking into consideration their needs and available resources.
Scope of Services
The counseling center provides eight main types of service. Detailed descriptions of each are in the “What We Do,” and “Specialized Services” sections of this website.
- Walk in Clinic Assessment
- Resiliency Resource Center (RRC)
- Skills Groups (drop-in psychoeducational groups)
- Group Counseling
- Individual Counseling (usually brief treatment)
- Psychiatry (Evaluations and medication Management)
- Referral Services
Wait Time and Quick Access
TCS is dedicated to providing high quality services in a variety of formats. TCS staff have developed several services to provide quick access for students. Satisfaction with these treatment approaches is high, based on a large number of students surveyed. These services fit flexibly into students busy schedules and students may use them as frequently and for as long as they like. These services are:
Skills Groups are specifically designed to address anxiety and depression, and increase interpersonal effectiveness. Students referred to these groups can drop-in at convenient times without an appointment.
The Resiliency Resource Center (RRC) is a dedicated space within TCS where students can utilize a number of additional resources to address their concerns. The RRC is open daily from 10am to 3pm during fall and spring semesters. Interns assist students in using computer-based programs, biofeedback, bright light therapy, workbooks, chair massage, and a variety of other resources.
Yoga and Meditation are increasingly being used to address issues such as anxiety and depression in counseling settings. Two counselors at TCS hold licensure as mental health practitioners and are certified yoga teachers. Most of these offerings are in a group format.
Limits to Scope of Services
The following are examples of services that a TCS counselor may not be able to provide:
- Letters of support for medical withdrawal, academic considerations, emotional support animals, or other concerns without a prior treatment history at TCS or without sufficient time to gather pertinent information to make a recommendation. Only students who have a treatment history at TCS or who are in the process of registering for services may be provided with letters when enough information has been gathered, which may take several sessions. Writing letters is always at the discretion of the clinician.
- Mandatory counseling including court ordered interventions after a DUI.
- Providing treatment to those who refuse or are unable to follow a recommended treatment plan. In this case referral options will be given.
- Providing a level of care (i.e. more intensive) that is beyond what is recommended in an outpatient center, or specialized services that are not available at TCS. In these cases referral options will be given.
- Long-term treatment or weekly individual sessions.
Just as we are mindful of the time commitment we make to you, it is greatly appreciated if you too are mindful of the time commitment when using counseling services. If you must miss a scheduled appointment due to illness or some other reason, please contact your counselor or call the front desk, (215) 204-7276, as soon as you know you will not be able to come in.